Monday, July 18, 2016

The Roots and History of American Liberty Course ~~ An Overview and Day1 [Joshua Burke]

Hello all! 

I hope everyone has been doing well wherever they are! I have been doing a lot since the 4th of July and I will quickly get you up to speed on what my family and I have been doing since the 4th. 

On the 6th we put Sea Glass on the hard. For all of you land lovers, this means that we hoisted Sea Glass out of the water into a boat yard, so that she can be worked on. We have a lot of items on the "to be fixed list" including the centerboard, new bottom paint, fix up the various scratches on the sides of the hull, and tons of other things. 

While the boat is getting worked on, we went to Vail, Colorado which is about 2 hours west from Denver. Even though Vail is primarily a ski resort, in the Summer it turns into a mountain bike/ hiking paradise. The entire place is surrounded by gorgeous mountains and it is definitely a change from living on the Ocean. The other change that I have had to go through is altitude change. I went from -1 on the boat to over 8000 feet. At 8000+ feet there is about 20% less oxygen and the air is a lot dryer and thinner. Therefore, my lips are supper chapped and I am so thirsty for water all the time. Eventually my body will adjust (hopefully). 

Anyway, now about the college course for high school students that I am taking. The course is called the Roots and History of American Liberty. This course is run by Hillsdale College, located up in Michigan. The course is a two week course and is completely on American History. I love any kind of history, and that is the main reason why I really wanted to go on this trip. Besides from the various lectures on certain times and events in American history, you also get to go to Gettysburg, Philadelphia, and Washington D.C. I am also really excited that I get to go on a tour of the Capital building and the Pentagon! I can't wait for those tours. For attending this class, you also get 3 hours of college credit on top of the experience that you get. 

When I leave campus by bus, this will be my first time to the East Coast (this is also my first time to the mid west) so I can't wait to see what the East Coast is like. 

To get to Hillsdale, I first flew from Denver to Detroit (the flight was excellent) and then a official Hillsdale shuttle bus picked me up at the airport and drove down to Hillsdale city (where Hillsdale College is located). The drive was very scenic and Michigan actually reminds me of the various open plains in Washington state. When we arrived at Hillsdale, we were first shown our dorm rooms and we had a pizza party! There are about 34 students in my class, which is a lot of kids. I was excepting only 20 at the most. 


                                                                 Me on the plane!

So for the rest of day 1 (7/17/16) I was shown around the campus! The campus in itself is absolutely stunning. All of the buildings on campus are made out of classic bricks, so it looks like the entire place is an old town lost in time. It makes sense though, Hillsdale has a long history. The college its self was founded in 1844, and is one of the top 100 liberal arts colleges in the country. However, history is a HUGE thing here and you must take a course on the Constitution no matter what major you decided to get here. Also, the college is known for being very conservative, in fact it is sometimes known as conservative Harvard. 

We were also shown the "lecture room" where we will be lectured on history topics while at Hillsdale. The professor who will be going with us to the various places also gave an introduction. 

Here is some pictures of the campus: 






Can't wait to learn some history and see some really neat places in our country! 

Cheers! 

Joshua 

No comments:

Post a Comment