For my 14th Birthday my parents worked out a great surprise. I didn’t know what I was
going to do for it until we got there. Dad woke me up at 6 A.M. I was a bit grouchy
when I woke up. I don’t like to get up until 8. For some reason we had to get
wherever we were going early. When we were all in the car we headed off. On the
way I drew up in my mind what I was probably going to do. Could it be a movie, go-carts, a jungle adventure? When we arrived the mystery location it was not even on my list. We had arrived at the
Phuket private airfield; I was going to fly a plane!
The airfield was made out of grass, and there was a huge
hanger for the many small aircraft that they had. There was a six-setter
propeller plane that an instructor and I were going to fly the family up around
Phuket. An aerobatic plane, a small helicopter and small planes of all sizes
were also inside the hanger. After getting briefed on some physics and all the
controls on a plane we were ready to take off. When we got clearance from
Phuket air control my instructor flew during takeoff. But once we were up 400 ft. I
got to take command of the controls. Flying is actually the easiest part of it, all you have
to do is control speed, flaps, and most importantly be aware of your
surroundings. You actually look at your gauges very little while flying. Flying
around Phuket was tons of fun. We went eye-to-eye with the Buddha, went over a
number of beaches, and flew over the gym that I was training at. In Phuket
airspace, you must be above 400 ft. when flying above people’s homes so you
don’t “peek into their houses”. Seeing Phuket from a different angle was pretty
amazing. We flew for about an hour before landing.
 |
| Ready for takeoff! |
 |
| One of the many beaches. |
 |
| Flying round the Buddha |
 |
| Doing a turn. |
The next and last plane I flew was a red two-setter trainer
plane. My safety instructor was a Thai who spoke really good English. I chose
to go fly around the nearby, tropical islands. Before takeoff we tested the
fuel on the plane because in a humid environment that we are in, the fuel could
get wet and that would ruin the fuel. Takeoff was easier with this plane since
it was lighter then the six-seater. The controls were easier too. You flew with
a joystick to the right of you and there were fewer gauges. Flying was exciting
since you didn’t have to fly strait, like in a passenger plane. I did a figure
eight around two islands and flew threw through a valley with a river below us.
It was so fun that it unfortunately cannot be described in words. You have to
stay ten miles away from the Phuket airport because you could possibly fly into
the path of a 747. Landing is easily the hardest part of flying so the safety
instructor did the landing.
 |
| Testing the fuel. |
 |
| Coming in for landing |
Thanks for Reading
Joshua Burke
No comments:
Post a Comment